Wednesday, October 2, 2013

BollyWelcome: What to Watch

If you've been tracking with this series, then you've already been introduced to Bollywood cinema in four easy steps. If you missed out, here's a link to part one.

What to Watch

Once you know you want to watch Bollywood movies, you have to find some that you like. Just like any other art forms, some parts will appeal to you and others will not. How do you find what you like when you're searching for movies in a different language?

From "Cocktail" 
Either you learn Hindi (Ellie's all over it) or you find another way. I started out the hard way--I just googled for top ten lists and perused brief write ups, then tried to decide whether the movie would appeal to me based on a paragraph or two.

Let's just say it's very hit and miss. Mostly miss. As your taste develops, you will find some elements of Bollywood more gripping than others. I really love the East/West interactions of modern Bollywood. I like to see the traditional culture dealing with the outside influences. It makes me sad to see Bollywood grow Westernized at times--I love to see my films embrace their traditional ethic and be blatantly non-Western.

As such, I tend to spend more time with modern Bollywood with the slick production values and more complex storylines.

Ellie is all about classic Bollywood. Aside from the magnetism of Big B (we love you Amitabh!!), it is a completely distinct vibe. The costumes are more traditional, the stories are a bit scattered, and the energy is just as high and fun as the modern stuff, though the music tends to be more traditional.

How to Find It

Once you know what "it" is for you, there is a very simple way to find it. Really. You don't even have to learn Hindi (yet). 

YouTube.

Really. 

Search for something you like. 

Watch music videos. Look at the recommended videos. Watch those. Find the songs you like, then purchase the whole movie. No more relying on reviews of strangers with a different set of interests and values!! It's amazing. Depending on where your interests lie, you can subscribe to different channels. A favorite of mine is YRF Songs. There are plenty of others. 

Where to Buy It

Does this even need a caption?
Again, there's a really easy answer here. Check out Amazon! Not only do they have great prices on new and used DVDs and Blue-Rays, there is free Super Saver shipping on orders over $25. If you're a Prime member, it's free all the time, but I'm not. Regardless. Toss 3 or 4 in your cart and they'll be at your door in a few days.

It's a bit of a risk, especially as you're starting out, so I try to pay less than $10/DVD. As I get more comfortable with my choices and learn what actors, directors, and (most importantly) song writers I like, I'm willing to spend more.

There are other options--Eros Now runs an instant video service with an assortment of titles available for $7.99 a month. There is a 14 day free trial available. I haven't gone this route yet, but I'll be strongly considering it this winter when it's cold and miserable.

Netflix also has a lively online selection. I may be the only person in the US who doesn't currently subscribe, but the library looks fun.

We'll talk about cool local options and how to watch current releases soon!

**Also** In doing research, I ran across the soon-to-be-released "Ram-Leela" ERMERGERD!!!!!!!!!! I cannot even say how excited I am for this movie. Watch the trailer here!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love your feedback! Please keep it family friendly (unless you're really funny).